Thursday, July 21, 2005

Sadly, we can't exit Iraq

I wrestle with the question of bringing our troops home. I want them out of the senseless situation where life is vulnerable to unseen enemies. The cost of Iraqi and American lives since our arrogant invasion is estimated over 100.000.

On both sides, thousands are maimed, mourn the loss of family members and disrupted lives...and face many years of sorrow ahead.

I ache for the daily loss of American and Iraqi lives. I am ashamed of the price that Iraqis who step forward to help their country regain equilibrium and a democratic way of life (our imperial dictum) are paying as they die for a cause they didn't request.

I marched against this war. But my conscience says "We broke it, we need to fix it. We can't leave." It would be a disservice to all those who have given their lives to support us. It is immoral for America to create a chaotic and dangerous mess and then ask the victims to clean it up.

We must recognize how our patriotism can be twisted and used to manipulate us into actions we come to regret. America is all of us. We hold responsibility through our past and future votes.
Valerie R. Smith
Spokane, WA
The Spokesman Review

1 Comments:

At 5:38 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmm I love the idea behind this website, very unique.
»

 

Post a Comment

<< Home