Wednesday, July 20, 2005

Secularists finally noticed

I was elated to see some space in our newspaper devoted to the secular community (Secularists under siege," July 10). It has been my privilege to know some of the people you interviewed as well as many other "secular people". On a whole, I have found them to be intelligent, well-educated, well-educated, very productive and contributing members of our world. Most important, they think for themselves, without their thinking influenced by fear of myth or dogma.

After being raised in a religious community, including parochial schools, it has taken two-thirds of my own life to break free of the bondage and feel the exhilaration and freedom to think freely. It is a wonderful feeling having the freedom to be a contributing part of humanity without the selfish reasoning of gaining some reward promised by a mythological being in an unknown afterlife.

I will have to admit, I have been "eternally" grateful to the parochial schools for teaching me to read and encouraging reading. With many questions about religions and philosophy, the search for answersww has brought me to my current views.

Again, thank you, Spokesman-Review, for finally giving some space to secularists.
Darrell W. Sullens
Spokane, WA
Spokesman-Review

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home